Monday, March 18, 2013

If the Shoe Fits...

Today, Enock, the local shoemaker, texted me to let me know that the shoe he created for Pierre is ready.  Pierre is the little boy with the foot problem that we are hoping to cure somehow.  



His good foot is only about a size 11 in a little kids' shoe.  His bad foot = a size 10 adult size, although it is actually much, much shorter than a size 10.  

Anyway, Tim had the idea that we should see if Enock could build a shoe for Pierre.  

And here it is~! 


Now, if only we can FIND Pierre.  I think I mentioned in an earlier post that he left the hospital without us knowing.  His family depends on him for their income, and he was needed back home.  

He lives way back in the mountains, about an hour from here.  The social workers said they can take me to his home soon if we don't see him in Chazo (Tsazo) in the next few days.  He and his brother are often in our nearby town to try to get money through begging.  I so hope we can find him, so we can give him a good bath again, clean his foot, wrap it, and then put on his new shoe!  

I am also trying to find a way to set up a fund for his family.  My desire is that we could provide a couple goats for his family, so they could start a new business and hopefully have a better way to support themselves.  The cost for the goats?  About 17,000 francs, or $25 USD each.  A couple goats could change so much for this family! 

I'd also like to start a school fund for his brothers and sisters (7 of them), none of whom have ever been able to attend school.  The cost for school fees for all 7 would be $210 a year.  The cost for all their uniforms would be less than $100 a year.  Of course, they'd need this money every year for quite a few years to come.  

If they can't attend school, they have no hope of a better future.  

If anyone wants to contribute to helping this family, leave a comment here.  Hopefully, in a few weeks, I will know how to set up a fund so you can do just that.  

Together, we can help Pierre and his family to have a better life!  


3 comments:

  1. Linda, I heard from Pastor Lwabimba, he said he was at the Rusizi border but you didn't cross over? Please let me know what happened. Were you able to attend the wedding in the Congo?

    I'm sure Lwabimba can help you track down the logistics of possibly adopting Deste.

    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Mark Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I would like to purchase 2 goats for the family.

    Len Hillary
    lhillary@yours.com
    Winnipeg, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Len,

      I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your comment. Our internet is very slow, and I cannot scroll back to see folks' comments very easily. It is nearly impossible to reply to comments at our home. Today we are at a place with fast internet (for the next 30 minutes) so I am hastily trying to reply to all my backed up old comments!

      If you'd still like to purchase goats, they cost about $30 each USD. Not sure what that would be in Canadian money! But, you can donate it by going to our donate now button on the blog, and typing in Tim's name on the "find a doctor" page. Simply type "Berg, Timothy" into the doctor line, and our page should come up. You can then type in whatever amount of money you want. If you could email me at bergfamilyafrica@gmail.com (instead of comment here) and tell me if you did it, I will get the goats and deliver them and send you a picture!

      Thank you so much!
      Linda Berg

      Delete