Tuesday, May 14, 2013

(שמע אלוהים Shma Alohim). Samuel ... GOD has heard.


Samuel Hilliard Berg

Sam and Bakwiye





Almost 13 years ago, after what was an extremely difficult pregnancy for both of us, God blessed Tim, me, and countless other people on this earth with another son.  We named him Samuel.  Samuel means "God has heard".  When he was born, I knew God had heard me and my heart's cry that he would make it into the world, that he would give me another son and give Stephen the brother he had asked for for so long.  Sam's name also brought to our minds the image of young Samuel in the Bible, listening, or hearing God when He called to him from inside Eli's tent.  We prayed our son would be heard by God and would hear God himself - that Sam would always listen, always keep his heart soft to God's message and direction for him throughout his life.  
I almost lost Sam a few times during that last pregnancy.  I think I may have spent more time in the hospital than out of it during those 9 months, certainly during the last half of the pregnancy.  He came three weeks early (which felt super early for me, as all three of our others had been two or more weeks OVERdue.)  Sam had a few problems with his blood sugar and with his lungs, but they were all overcome quickly enough, thanks to the help of a wonderful and attentive nurse named Anne and a wonderful doctor named Melissa.  

Perhaps what made Sam extra special was knowing I couldn't bear any more children.  Every milestone, every "first roll, first crawl, first steps, first tooth, first bath" was also my last as a Mama.  I cherished them all.  

When we came to Africa almost a year ago, we wondered how our kids would handle the 180 degree change the move would bring to their lives.  This morning, I decided to highlight the kids, one blog post at a time, to reflect back on the year through the eyes of a Mother watching her children grow in somewhat difficult - or certainly at least, not typical - circumstances.  

To say all 4 of the kids have lived victoriously this year is so true, but also glosses over their unique patterns of walking out the journey God mapped for them.  

Just as to say that "I am proud of my kids" is to glaze over the particulars of the ways I thank God for them each day of my life.  

So, I ask that you forgive this shameless space of bragging on my offspring, and allow me to share with any who care to read why I am so utterly glad to be the Mom of these four special people.  

I guess the thing that stands out most to me about Sam's experience has been the way he has made friends with so many.  The old ladies at the hospital adore him, the little children on the road, even miles and miles from our compound, all know him by name, the workmen on our mission station all brighten up and smile broadly when Sam comes by for a visit.  When we went on safari in Kenya or a few days, the younger guide in training became like a brother.  Bakwie, an almost 70 year old worker here on the compound, who has worked at the mission for over 40 years, has adopted Sam as his own.  To see them playing tag, running and laughing and hugging and wrestling - one would scarcely believe they were strangers just 10 months ago.  

I wish I had a picture of Sam with Muganga, another man of God who has worked at the mission for about 40 years.  He does the laundry for the mission, and has his own peculiar way of speaking "English".  Somehow Sam (and Ruthie, too) can understand him, and they enjoy visiting together every day.  Sometimes Muganga can get discouraged, but 5 minutes with Sam can give him the encouragement and light humor to carry on and enjoy the rest of his day.  

Ildephonse, the head gardener, is another man who has taken Sam under his wing.  Just yesterday, Sam was recounting a conversation with Ildephonse as they were discussing priorities.  Ildephonse was challenging Sam to always put God first, ahead of all else, in his life.  He was reminding him of Matthew 6:33, "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness...." And he was reminding him of the first and greatest commandment, to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength."  I am so thankful for these men who know what most matters.  Ildephonse was telling Sam, in his broken English, about his priorities: 

First, is my God. God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit. 
Second, is my wife. 
Third is my childrens. 
Fourth is my parents.
Fifth is my brothers and sisters. 
Sixth is my employers.  
Seventh is my co-workers and my friends at Kibogora like you (Sam). 
Eighth is my neighbors. 
Ninth is all my other friends.  

He exhorted Sam to learn his priorities and to always remember them.  To live by them. 

How many almost 13 year old boys do you know who truly LISTEN to their elders?  Who are willing to take advice from so many others with whom they share their faith, but nothing else?  Culturally, Sam is miles apart from these new friends, and yet he LISTENS, his heart is SOFT AND TENDER, he treasures them.  Sam sees with eyes far beyond his years, and he hears and cares as someone much older as well.  

I am so thankful for my son.  






Since pictures are worth a thousand words, I guess I will let these photos do the rest of the talking in my post about Sam-the-Man.  






Dickson, a Massai guide-in-training, loved horsing around with Sam.  

It seemed like they were brothers with different mothers.  These two had the same heart!

Dickson, Sam, Stephen, Tim and Dixon.  Our Massai Men!

Walking across the sky bridge in the rainforest with Stephen and Tim.  This thing is high. Sam has never really seemed to know the meaning of the word "fear" - he is always up for anything, and so often, he finds his own particular way to do a task or project.  He sees life from a slightly different angle than the average Joe - and this adds so much color to our daily life.    


Sam and Bakwiye, his "Mwirabuda Papa".  Oh, how they love each other!

Sam took this picture of two of the gardeners - he has bonded with all the guys on the compound far more than any of the rest of us.  It feels like he is everyone's son here.

Sam with his little buddy, Jules.  I love the way 4 year olds
 look when they have their "camera smile" on.  So natural!  NOT! ha ha~ !!
Here is a much more true to life expression for Jules,
but not so typical for Sam.  Too bad I couldn't combine
 Sam from the right and Jules from this one~ where is photoshop
 when I need it?  These boys are both so precious.
   Jules absolutely loves copying everything the big muzungu does.


No post about Sam's Africa experience would be complete without including a pic of him and brother Dave (in Superman tshirt).  I don't have any pics of them together on this laptop (mine is broken, so I'm using Ruthie's), but when Dave was here, they were pretty much an inseparable dynamic duo.  Sam not only bonded with Dave like a big brother, but he also learned some awesome photography skills from this talented man.  We are going through England on our way home to see him and his superbly lovely wife, Naomi (playing guitar) this summer.  Imagining Africa this year without Dave would be like imagining a chocolate lava volcano at Rails Cafe without cold vanilla ice cream.  (Counting the days til I eat another one of those with my parents!)  

Naomi and Dave, two of the most brilliant people we've ever met, with the
oldest known guy around Kibogora, age 96.  We miss you and love you, Dave and Naomi !!! 

1 comment: