Saturday, December 1, 2012

Merry Advent!!

I'm so sorry I haven't posted in so long. Didn't think it was possible, but our Internet situation has been even worse the last few weeks, as roadworkers cut a cable a few miles away. This made posting a blog feel more like banging one's head repeatedly against a brick wall in hopes of moving that wall. Just a crazy idea! Today, I'm trying Tim's lovely iPhone, to see if posting here through his phone service is a possibility.

We brought one box of Christmas decorations, and I've been trying to make our home look a little bit like Christmas with them. Going from 45 boxes and a 9 foot tree to 1 box and a 24 inch tree requires some flexibility , creativity and imagination. Honestly, the lack of decorating was bothering me more than I'd anticipated. But then! Joy to the World! Guess what Julie found? Five large boxes full of stored decorations from past mission families, all for us!!! Can you say JINGLE BELLS?? I feel like singing!

It makes me smile to think many friends at home are decorating today, just as I am on the other end of the globe. The workers at the mission think my excitement over putting a tree inside my house and sticking objects all over it is just one more inexplicable muzungu custom, but they're used to it, as they are used to us all by now, and our crazy ways.

Gotta finish decorating!! I've never appreciated this quite so much as I do this year. Nothing like thinking you don't have decorations to make you appreciate putting them up. Christmas is such a great season for me. I love it. Now, I just need to see when everyone votes on the village Christmas light contest. Maybe I will finally WIN this year!! (Yes, Chrisie Platt, Gaga and Papa, that joke was for you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment